Saturday, October 18, 2008

People I Meet (And Run From) In My Dreams

One thing about enduring interesting times is that a person who does so spends a long time afterward processing what happened to him. That processing tends to show up at night, in the things that go through a guy's head during R.E.M. sleep.

So it is with me. It's been over five years since the last time I attended the abusive church I described in my blog, TH in SoC. For the first several months afterward, I very regularly had dreams about some of the more difficult people in the group (that includes almost all of the leaders, by the way), people that were a royal pain in the ... uh, neck to me. Most of that time I was quite angry. It finally occurred to me that I should do things to distract myself from rehashing the things I'd had to put up with during my involvement in the group.

During that time God providentially arranged for me to be assigned to a long-term consulting engineering contract in downtown Los Angeles, so I had to ride the Metrolink every day (expenses paid by my company, of course), which I had never done before. It was a welcome change of scenery and I encountered loads of new faces and new situations. During that time I also took a night class in creative writing at a local community college. Yet there were too many mornings when I'd wake up after a night of dreams re-hashing and processing old situations and encounters with old familiar faces, and I'd wonder why I never dreamed of work or school or riding the train instead.

Thankfully, the severity and frequency of the dreams has diminished quite a bit since then. I'm not really angry anymore. And if you want to talk about a change of scenery, I now live a thousand miles away from So. Cal. Yet even here there is an occasional night when old faces and old scenes insinuate themselves into my dreams.

Maybe I should write a song about this. Jackson Browne wrote “Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate.” Billy Joel wrote “River of Dreams.” Shawn Colvin wrote “Diamond in the Rough,” which has a memorable line, “I have lost too much sleep and I'm gonna find it.” If I have another “flashback” dream, I'll write a song titled, “Hey you! Get out from under my eyelids, man!” Then I'll have a good wry laugh. Does anyone out there from a similar background find that they're still “processing” things? How do you deal with it?

* * *

I attended Saturday evening service at the local rescue mission. Afterward, I asked one of the staffers a bit about the mission and the sorts of people they are seeing as visitors. He told me that while most of those who come to the mission are over 25 years old and dealing with substance abuse problems, there are some who come because they are victims of the current American economic mess. We talked about the needs of the residents and opportunities for volunteers to help out as he handed out bed tickets to a line of waiting men and the light rail trains rumbled by in the darkness outside. As I was leaving, he invited me back and said that I was welcome anytime. I may indeed make a return visit soon.

Tomorrow, hopefully, I'm going to hook up with some bicycle riders and go on a long recreational ride. It's more fun to do it with a group than to ride by myself. The weather should be good. And I have a post in the works which I will publish soon, titled, “A Prayer for Hard Times,” a look at the Lord's Prayer found in Matthew 6.

2 comments:

Stormchild said...

Here you go, TH in SoC: this is for you.

With thanks and blessings to the beautiful, lyrical, articulate women of Heart: this is inspired by their beautiful song and follows their melody.

Church Dreams

Light a little candle, Lord
Shed Your light on me
I see that old, cold altar
Unmistakably;
Liars all in linen,
With incense and a twist
Of moonlight hanging over
Old nightmares in the mist...

Darkness is their edge
The Shadow's where they stand
Taking tithes and all my time,
Empty, heart and hand.
I want to see this clearly,
To be able to resist,
But all my night dreams bring me
Are their faces in the mist...

These dreams that haunt my sleeping hours,
How many years gone by must I watch like fading flowers?
These dreams that make me cold inside
And then when I awake... can my Savior still abide?

Give to me Your Gospel,
Give to me Your Song,
Give to me Your Sacred Dream
To light my nights lifelong...
And I will walk without a scratch
Right through their stained glass wall
Your Word my unquenched candle,
In Your Armor, strong and tall...

These dreams that heal my aching soul
The years that I have lost, restored, for You will make me whole;
These dreams that You will make come true,
For all my Light and all my Life will all be found in You.

Light a candle, Lord, and shed Your Light on me...

TH in SoC said...

Thanks! And may the Lord's blessing be on you today, and all days.